Best Home Defense Shotgun: Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870
Best Home Defense Shotgun
Have you been searching and wondering what the best home defense shotgun is?
Two of the best on the market are the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870, and both are fantastic shotguns. The U.S. Military uses Mossbergs, and the Police generally use Remingtons, proving that both are solid choices.
There is really not that much difference between the two. Here are a few to consider:
- Mossberg 500 receiver is aluminum and the Remington 870 receiver is steel.
- Mossberg 500 has dual extractors and the Remington 870 has a single extractor.
- Remington 870 has a feed gate that you have to push to load shells and the Mossberg 500 does not
- Mossberg 500 safety is on top and Remington 870 safety is in trigger guard
- Mossberg 500 is drilled and tapped for a scope, the Remington 870 is not
- Both priced from around $350 and up depending on model
Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870 Review by VuurwapenBlog
Remington 870 Shotgun Review by hickock45
Mossberg 500 Shotgun Review by hickcock45
Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870 Summary
You honestly can not go wrong purchasing either one of these shotguns for home defense. The Remington 870 has been around for decades, and there are so many aftermarket parts you can buy if you want to trick out your shotgun. A lot of people are partial to the Remington as it was their first shotgun, or the one they have used for most of their lives. The Mossberg is a bit lighter, and many like the safety being on top. It makes it more accessible with the thumb. That said, if this is your first shotgun, you will learn how to use the one you buy and the differences won’t matter as much to you.
There is no clear cut winner here. It comes down to personal preference for veteran gun owners, and if you are brand new, either one will suit you just fine. Go ahead and pull the trigger on that new Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 shotgun purchase!